Catch Your Bus 

UX / UI Study

Creation of an app to supply bus users information about schedules, routes, and reports of incidents easily and while on the go.

Project Duration

October 2020 – December 2020

My Role

UX Generalist in a team of 4 UX Designers

Responsibilities

Sketching, wireframing, prototyping, testing

The Problem

Finding a place where you feel safe leaving your pet is very difficult. You are not always sure they have experience, if it is clean, safe, or if they know how to handle an emergency. You need to be sure they will be responsible and really care about your pets.

The Goal

Creating a cohesive design that could be applied to social networks, stationary, and web, to give a full sense of professionalism and attention to detail. Also, offering customers the possibility to get all the information about their services and validate the business through customer reviews and other informative resources through a nice and easy-to-navigate website.

Bus User Rodrigo

Understanding the User

User Persona - Rodrigo Jiménez

“I need to check the bus routes, schedules, and stops to get on time to work and school.”

Rodrigo is a university student and full-time worker who lives in the center of the town and moves only by bus. University and work schedules often vary and he also needs to account for traffic jams and bus delays. Having an app to check where to take the bus and the schedules for each stop, and the possibility to report anomalies in the service would make his life easier. 

 

Frustrations

  • Difficult to know if the schedule changes on weekends or holidays
  • Difficult to make reports about issues with service
  • Not sure about where are all the bus stops for specific route

Goals

  • Ability to make reports including photos or audios
  • Making direct reports via Whatsapp
  • Possibility to check schedules per day, including weekends and holidays
  • Easy navigation with a single hand because of multiple bags being carried

Design

Concept

We began sketching ideas around single-handed use of the device, based on the multiple bags users carried. This means using mostly thumbs to browse through the screens. We figured out widgets or drawers would be a good start to develop the idea.

Scheduling could be filtered by weekdays and weekends or holidays, as variations normally just apply that way. A map using common navigation patterns found in Google Maps or Waze would show the bus stops and routes followed by each.

High contrast colors would help with the navigation under sunny or dark conditions (morning or evening). And few iconographies to support the app would be used to provide some friendliness to the app and guidance about the actions in each section where applicable. 

Modular blurb low fidelity wireframe

Wireframes

Results

First prototype

Alkemio Lab Website Cover
Mobile version of different screens of NOVICSA's website

Usability study

The usability study showed that users were able to complete 75% of the tasks easily. The remaining 25% was consistently failed: users were not able to find the map easily within the app and suggested a clearer indication to know how to find it. 

Study results

  • Check the bus schedule for Monday at 10:00 am 100% 100%
  • Report the bus driver who is speaking over the phone while driving 100% 100%
  • Check where the closest bus stop is. 25% 25%

Wrap up

My takeaways

Designing as a collaborative team in Figma was a great experience that allowed great results and convergence. The most valuable thing was knowing that what is evident to the designer, such as the map location, will not necessarily be evident for the user. 

Next steps

Based on users suggestions and results of the usability study:

  • Redesign of access to Map
  • Accessibility improved
  • Dark and light theme

Other projects

Novicsa

Web design and UX study

Alkemio Lab

Web design and UX study

Natural Pet Care 

Web design and branding